Blogroll

Wednesday, April 12, 2023

Stargazers: Community of Wonder

Stargazers
Virginia State Parks / CC BY 2.0
Companionship adds to the stargazing experience; but even if you're alone, you never know who else might be looking skyward.

On a clear night this past summer, I was outside with my 114mm Dobsonian and a mission to find the Ring Nebula. I found it, and it was glorious. I spent a full hour peering through the eyepiece and marveling at the speck of hazy fuzz.


But my wonder was tempered by the fact that I was alone. So many activities were put on the back burner during the pandemic, and many have remained there. Here in the Pacific Northwest, the annual Oregon Star Party looked like it would go ahead this past August, after being called off in 2020; it didn’t happen this year, either.



Of course, one of the beautiful things about stargazing is that you can enjoy the hobby completely on your own. You don’t need to coordinate with anyone or anything, other than the weather. You don’t have to wait for other people to be available, or get vaccinated, or generate enough enthusiasm. You can broaden your horizons right from the safety and comfort of your backyard, or from the nearest dark sky park. It’s just you, a blanket of stars, and a deep, abiding wonderment.


But when your family and friends are uninterested and fast asleep, it can feel a little lonely, especially if you’re feeling the urge for the community to share your passion.


On the one hand, technology has been great for keeping us connected. I’m lucky to belong to an active astronomy club, and we’ve remained engaged during the pandemic with online discussions about astroimaging and virtual telescope workshops. There have been informal star parties, too.


But nothing beats in-person company for the real-time thrill of new-to-me discoveries. So I put together a mini–star party of my own. There were just two of us in the neighborhood park hunting for deep-sky objects in and around Scorpius. The skies weren’t dark enough, even after I set up a massive beach umbrella to block the nearby streetlamp. But that night was more about sharing than finding.


My friend and I had spent a solid year texting in the wee hours about our individual star safaris. In the park together, our companionship fueled us as much as our oohs and aahs at the stars and smudges in our eyepieces.



The post Stargazers: Community of Wonder appeared first on Sky & Telescope.

source https://skyandtelescope.org/astronomy-blogs/stargazers-community-of-wonder/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your valuable comments and keeping touch sharing our posts from my PHOTO COLLECTION.

People Searching